Friday, April 22, 2016

Story Time at Our House

Kenzie leaves for college in a few short weeks, it is really hitting me that what we have is temporary, and that we are facing the end of an era.  
I have determined to document our lives now and throughout the summer before it is too late to capture it. This is us. Starting with today....

You know how your child gets a smile on his face when you sit down to read with him?
                                                                                          Nothing says "good parenting" like a mother/child reading moment

Kenyon loves reading time, and today he pulled out the books we made him for his birthday this year. We all made at least one, and even a couple of cousins and Aunts, and Grandma made one.


We bonded, we laughed, and I actually made it through three or four of them before the inevitable happened.  And here, my friends, is the real reason that toddlers and pre-schoolers smile about story time.  

It is an instant adult tranquilizer.

When you see a photo of a mother or father reading with a child, just know that for the next twenty minutes to an hour, that child had free reign of the house. 

And it doesn't matter what time of day or night.  I have come home from book club to find the youngest member of the family wandering freely at 10:30 or 11:00 pm because Kevin attempted to put him to bed by reading stories.

At around 10:30 a.m. today I woke up on the couch after above mentioned sedation to find the following on my phone. Written and sent to my 16 year old son's soccer coach.




Needless to say, I quickly sent a text assuring him that I don't do drugs.



No comments:

Post a Comment